When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
– Wayne Dyer
Perhaps the most important story we hear is the story we tell ourselves each day. On September 1, 2020, the St. Jude Staff participated in a workshop with Dr. Vanessa Lapointe on Teaching with Hope as Our Guide. There are so many things to unpack from that workshop and we came away from the workshop feeling empowered about the important work we do with children. One of the more powerful lessons was for us as adults to really come to grips with our perceptions and thoughts of the world around us.
What stories do you tell yourself? For example, when Covid-19 restrictions were first put in place did you think to yourself, “This is awful. I feel so trapped at home all day.” Or did you say to yourself, “I get to spend more time at home with my family and I finally have time to finish those home projects I have been delaying.” What stories do you tell yourself about other people? What stories do you tell yourself about your children?
Let us all be a bit more mindful during these times. While I know the focus of these times is largely on physical health, let us not forget that we are so much more than just physical beings. We need to be ever mindful of mental health, emotional health, physical health, and spiritual health. More than ever we as adults will be influencing and shaping the perceptions of our children. Let us make sure that we give them a story that is full of resilience and strong character. Let us make sure we show them a story that is full of faith, hope, and love.
We have made several improvements to the school over the summer. They say a picture is worth a 1000 words so I will let the images below do the talking!
Calendar of Events
With all the recent changes from the Ministry of Education in the last few weeks many of the calendared events will be changing. We will communicate the changes as soon as possible. We are currently planning our way through various events, such as Meet the Teacher Night, that used to be held in person but will now be shifting to virtual methods of communication. We appreciate your understanding as we navigate these changes.
First Day of School September 10th
With the recent survey results we will be changing our format for the first day of school with students on September 10th. Please note the following:
Before 8:20 am Complete the Daily Screening Form (access from main page of school website)
8:40 – 8:50 am Drop Off for A to LEI
8:50 – 9:00 am Drop Off for LI to Z
Students will have a 3 hr orientation in their classrooms. We will have one staggered recess break so please make sure students have a snack that day. Students will be dismissed before lunch. After School Club will not operate on September 10. September 11 will be the first day of After School Club.
11:40 – 11:50 am Pick Up for A to LEI
11:50 am – 12:00 pm Pick Up for LI to Z
At 9:10am on September 10th there will be a training for Outdoor Parent Supervisors. The training will happen in the Parking Lot to ensure physical distancing. The training will be about 10 minutes long. Parent Supervisors who cannot attend will need to have a training session with Mr. van der Pauw prior to doing any shifts at the school.
Uniform Policy Changes
With Covid-19 presenting real life challenges we are updating our uniform policy to make it more user friendly during the pandemic. Please note the following:
Monday: Uniform Day
Tuesday: Uniform or Dress Code Day:
– Boys: Navy Blue or Black Pants with White Polo Shirt (easily available at Old Navy, WalMart, and Children’s Place). Navy Blue or Black Bermuda Shorts can be worn from the first day of school in September until the Thanksgiving weekend, and, from after Mother’s Day until the end of the school year.
– Girls: Navy Blue or Black Pants with White Polo Shirt (easily available at Old Navy, WalMart, and Children’s Place). Navy Blue or Black Bermuda Shorts can be worn from the first day of school in September until the Thanksgiving weekend, and, from after Mother’s Day until the end of the school year.
Wednesday: Uniform Day
Thursday: Uniform or Patriots Spirit Wear Day (Patriot Spirit Wear purchased thru the school are: PE shirt, PE shorts, Patriots long sleeve shirt, Patriots Hoodie, Patriots sweatpants)
Friday: Uniform Day
Check out the links below:
Covid-19 Plan Updates
I would like to update the parent community of changes to our Covid-19 Plan:
- Daily Screening Form (access from the main page of the school website) must be completed by the parent before 8:20 am
- Masks are not recommended for PE and will not be worn
- Music class will take place in the classrooms
- The PHO has assured schools and municipalities that playgrounds are safe. Students will wash their hands before going outside and when coming back inside. Staff will monitor numbers on the playground to ensure that it is not crowded. Students are reminded to give each other space, to not touch others, and to practice proper hygiene (cover mouth if sneezing, immediately leave playground to wash hands, not to touch face, etc.).
- The following schedule will be strictly adhered to for recess: (please note all students will eat in their classroom from 12:15 to 12:30)
- 10:10-10:25 – K and Gr. 1 (Zone 1) Gr. 6 and 7 (zone 2)
- 10: 30 – 10:45 – Gr. 2 and 3 (Zone 1) Gr. 4 and 5 (zone 2)
- 11:45 – 12:15 – K and Gr. 1 (Zone 1) Gr. 6 and 7 (zone 2)
- 12:30 – 1:00 – Gr. 2 and 3 (Zone 1) Gr. 4 and 5 (zone 2)
Please also note the change from above to the mandatory wearing of uniforms. We will follow the new weekly routine for uniforms.
OPTION 4 TEMPORARY TRANSITION
I am sure there are many questions about this temporary transition option. CISVA is coordinating all schools so that there is uniformity between our Catholic schools with respect to this option. Principals are waiting for direction right now from CISVA and will communicate with parents in greater depth about this option. I thank you for your patience and understanding.
If you have not answered the survey then please email firstname.lastname@example.org
In your email please indicate your child’s name and grade and if you are planning to have your child return to in-person instruction or if they will instead do the temporary transition option.
SCHOOL SUPPLIES 2020-2021
Please click on the appropriate class to get your supply list for next school year. Orders are placed with School Start and will be delivered directly to our school.
Check out www.cambridgeuniforms.com
St. Jude online school code is: TPA859
Returning clients: https://www.cambridgeuniforms.com/account/login
New clients: https://www.cambridgeuniforms.com/account/register
There has been a great response from the online Zoom fittings for families who require assistance with reading size charts, navigating the website and confirming their sizes. Book an online fitting here: https://www.cambridgeuniforms.com/pages/book-an-online-fitting
Complete Daily Screening Form
Sep 10 – First Day of School
Sep 11 – Patriot Spirit Day
Sep 17 – Individual Photo Day
Sep 17 – Meet the Teacher Night 6:30-8:00pm
Sep 25 – Care Day – NOON DISMISSAL