“He who has a why to live can bear almost any how.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
By Day 4 of the Camino my wife had developed a nasty heat rash on her leg that made walking the path incredibly difficult. The dust and the hot sun of Spain only made things worse. We would take periodic breaks so that she could somehow cool down the skin and then, because we had to, we would keep going. Eventually we found a pharmacy in one of the bigger towns we were walking through and fortunately they supplied a cream for her. But the first week it was almost unbearable to watch her grimace with each step.
In those early days though, I was struck by how much interior strength Carla had to keep going. The heat rash would cool down at night and in the morning would not be so bad. But we both knew that the day ahead was going to be full of painful steps because the heat rash would inevitably flair up. However, we knew we had a destination to reach. We also knew that we wanted to accomplish this together. Knowing our purpose and destination, meant knowing that we could endure.
This why we need to know where we are heading in life. It is also why we need to know our purpose. And once you know your destination and purpose you will discover that you do have the strength to overcome the many challenges and sufferings that life presents.
MUNCHALUNCH HOT LUNCH ORDER
Our final hot lunch order for the 2020-21 school year is now open. Orders for the week of March 29 must be completed no later than March 22, 2021. All orders for hot lunch must be completed at least one week in advance of the date of the hot lunch. Please click here to access Munchalunch.
CAMBRIDGE UNIFORMS - PATRIOTS SPIRIT WEAR ORDER
Parents will have until March 12, 2021 to place orders for the Patriots Spirit Wear from Cambridge Uniforms. Click here to see the flyer. Orders must be completed online and by March 12, 2021.
To order the Light Grey Patriots Spirit Wear, please click here: https://stjudepatriotsgear.square.site/
Items available in the Light Grey Patriots Spirit Wear are a hoodie, sweatpants, sweatshirt, sleeveless hoodie, mask, and drawstring bag. The proceeds from the masks go to the Gr. 7 Farewell.
SCHOOL UNIFORMS UPDATE MARCH 05 2021
Starting March 29, 2021, school administration and teachers will be conducting uniform checks. Infractions will be communicated to families in writing and the expectation is that changes will be made by the family in order to comply with the uniform. Our goal is not to be punitive. Instead, we want to create a culture where we wear our uniform items with pride and care.
What types of uniforms infractions can be expected?
- ripped or tattered uniform items need to be sewn, patched or replaced (patches need to be discrete and blend in)
- dirty or stained items are to be cleaned and if permanently stained then replaced
- non uniform items are not permissible during school hours while in the classroom
- hair accessories are to be in alignment with the school uniform
- tights are to be in alignment with the school uniform
- the uniform is to be worn with pride – neat and tidy
- kilts are to fit properly – no higher than an index card above the knee as a guideline
How will I know a uniform infraction has been handed out?
- Your child will receive a paper uniform infraction that requires a parent’s signature
- We ask that you sign the infraction notice and send it back with your child as acknowledgment
Where can I find a copy of the uniform policy?
- Our Parent Handbook is available on the School Website under the Parents Tab or click here to read the handbook (p.19-20)
How long will you have to fix a uniform issue?
- Easily fixed items such as wearing an item that is not part of the uniform will need to be fixed by the next day and in some cases students may be asked to remove the item (i.e. wearing a non uniform hoodie in the classroom)
- If an infraction is for a kilt that is too small, we understand that it will take time to replace a kilt – in situations such as these please communicate with school administration to provide a timeline for replacement
Will there be an option to purchase gently used uniform items?
- we are pleased to announce that we will be establishing a uniform consignment
- drop-off for used uniform items that are in good condition will happen March 29 to April 2
- more information and details will be communicated in a separate letter
Are there exceptions to the uniform?
- in rare circumstances there have been uniform exceptions but each time the family has spoken with the classroom teacher and administration
- examples in the past include injuring a foot so footwear accommodations need to be made and transferring to our school and it takes time to secure the uniform
- the school works with families who require valid accommodations
Will the existing uniform schedule continue for 2021-22?
- the alternating uniform schedule of Patriots Spirit Wear and the regular uniform was created due to Covid-19. Once schools return to normal operations, the uniform schedule will be adjusted accordingly. We will still have Patriots Spirit Wear days but the frequency will be adjusted.
WALKATHON 2021 IS COMING
Our one and only fundraiser for the year is happening on May 14, 2021. The funds raised for the Walkathon will go to support making our school environment better by renovating the remaining washrooms in the school. Many parents and students have commented on how much they appreciated the newly renovated upstairs washrooms and we would love to be able to renovate the remaining washrooms!
Work is already underway to ensure that this event can be done safely within the Covid-19 guidelines. We are in need of parents to help with the planning and execution of this event. There are many jobs to be done and we need your help! I know we have many parents who can help to make this event a success! Any parent who is able to assist is please email email@example.com
This year we will once again use Charitable Impact to collect online donations. Charitable Impact will issue tax receipts for all donations. After Easter, information will be provided to all families about pledges and how to donate online.
ST. JUDE PARISH ANNOUNCEMENTS
– Stations of the Cross: Every Friday during Lent we are Live-streaming the Stations of the Cross at 5:30 pm. Please join us!
– Mass in the Parking Lot: Our Sunday 9 am Mass is being celebrated outside in our parking lot. You can come in your cars and tune in to 87.9 FM and follow the Mass. Only 50 cars will be allowed. Please call the parish office to register. We ask that only those from your household be with you in the car. Please make sure to wear a mask during communion.
– Our 11:00 am Mass is Live-streamed. Communion will be distributed in the parking lot following the Mass.
– DAYS OF MERCY: The Archbishop has marked March 19th to 31st as days of Mercy, in our Archdiocese, to give the faithful an opportunity to go to Confession. As such, Fr. Jun will be available to hear confessions on the following days in our church: Friday, Mar. 19th & 26th from 10 to 11 am and from 6:30 to 7:30 pm. And Saturday, Mar. 20th & 27th from 9:30 to 11 am and 5:00 to 6:30 pm.
Please make sure to call the parish office to let us know what day and time you intend to come. We ask that when you come you wear a mask and maintain social distancing.
– Tax Receipts: The tax receipts for your 2020 parish contributions as well as your Project Advance contributions have been mailed. Thank you for your generosity and support.
– Parish Envelopes: If you have not yet picked up your new set of parish envelopes for this year, please call the parish office and make arrangements to come and pick them up.
GR 2 RECEIVES THE SACRAMENT OF RECONCILATION
COVID-19 DAILY SYMPTOMS CHECK
This is a reminder that parents need to take the time to do the Daily Check every day. It is important that we remain committed to taking our COVID-19 procedures seriously. Click here to access the form. You will no longer need to provide the child or parent’s name on the form.
Complete Daily Screening
Mar 15-26 – Spring Break
March 29 – School reopens from Spring Break
April 1 – Holy Thursday – Half Day
April 2 – Good Friday – No School
April 5 – Easter Monday – No School